Monday, March 11, 2013

#255 - Resting Keeps out Unbelief!

Hebrews 4:9,11 -  So then, there is still awaiting a full and complete Sabbath-rest reserved for the [true] people of God... (11) Let us therefore be zealous and exert ourselves and strive diligently to enter that rest [of God, to know and experience it for ourselves], that no one may fall or perish by the same kind of unbelief and disobedience [into which those in the wilderness fell].
Proverbs 31:17 - She girds herself with strength [spiritual, mental, and physical fitness for her God-given task] ....
When was the last time you really had a rejuvenating day? When you really rested? When you really took the time to re-charge your batteries? 

In today's day and age of goals, accomplishing things, moving up the corporate ladder, getting ahead, hustle and bustle, keeping up with the Joneses, keeping up with laundry & cleaning, meeting financial desires for savings, bank accounts, homes or cars... with all of that, when is there really time to rest? 

Taking a full day to just rest and recharge our batteries can almost seem like an impossibility. "How could I give up a FULL day to just rest? I have so much to accomplish!"

In a recent post, we talked about Proverbs 31:17 and discussed in detail the description of the word "gird," since it's not a word we use to often today. Just to recap, the thesaurus gives some further definitions... Gird: fortify, secure, support, are just a few. 

I'm confident that our Proverbs 31 woman took some time to rest. Just yesterday I ran into a revelation from Hebrews that I had never seen before. As you read in Hebrews 4:9, you see it talking about taking a complete Sabbath-rest. In the amplified version of the Bible, it goes on to say be zealous and exert yourself and strive diligently to take that rest! The NEXT part is what really got me!!! Let's look at the end of Hebrews 4:11, that no one may fall or perish by the same kind of unbelief and disobedience [into which those in the wilderness fell].


What does entering that rest do? It is MORE than just recharging your batteries. It is MORE than just taking a break? We often think of weak people are the ones who need a break. Weak people take time off. Weak people stop. Weak people take breaks. 

Friend.... I'm here to tell you just the OPPOSITE! In Hebrews 4:11, it is telling us the IMPORTANCE of taking that day of rest, that Sabbath day to rest, so that we will not FALL. So that we will not be in unbelief and disobedience!! Not only is the Sabbath day of rest there to simply rejuvenate us, BUT it is there to KEEP US OUT OF UNBELIEF! It is there to KEEP US OUT OF DISOBEDIENCE! 

I know for myself, I have noticed when I do not take a day of rest, I'm much more prone to temptation than the weeks when I take a day of rest. It has been much easier for me to fall, or sin when I'm running on fumes. When I've missed a week of having a day of rest. I can tell that my spirit seems weaker. I feel weaker. I've noticed it's harder to stay steady when I'm tired or run down. 

According to Hebrews 4, a day of rest is going to help you to walk in BELIEF! It's going to help you walk in OBEDIENCE! 

Friend, I'm going to encourage you, pull out your calendar, mark out when you can have a day of rest this week! Maybe work it out with your spouse to watch the kids for a few hours (or the whole day!) But, equally, do the same for your spouse! Encourage them to rest, rejuvenate, recharge their batteries! 

Maybe you can't get a full day of rest in. Maybe you have kids and there is no one who can watch them so you can actually feel rested. Well, do what you can, God WILL HONOR IT! Maybe prepare food the day before so you can just plug in the crock-pot, have an empty dishwasher when you start your day of rest. Let the kids watch a movie. Don't clean. Don't do laundry. Don't do any major cooking. Pull out a fun craft, or watch a movie yourself. Read a book. Get in the Word. Worship. Take a nap. :) Just have a day that is a fun filled day of recharging your batteries!! :) 

Friend.... from experience, having a weekly day of rest (DOR) has literally changed my life and my energy levels!!! I highly encourage it! :) 

Be blessed!! 

No comments:

Social Sharing