Monday, December 17, 2012

Power in the Name of Jesus

John 14:12-14 - Most assuredly, I say to you, he who believes in Me, the works that I do he will do also; and greater works than these he will do, because I go to My Father. And whatever you ask in My name, that I will do, that the Father may be glorified in the Son. If you ask anything in My name, I will do it."
As I sat in the quietness of my living room this morning, writing in my journal, praying, taking time to sit & listen to the Holy Spirit... I was reminded of a story. 

A close friend of mine in college was a new believer. She had recently accepted Jesus as her Lord and jumped whole-heartedly into a relationship with Him. She began to dive into the Word of God. She began to seek Him with all her heart. Her simple passion and love for Jesus was refreshing. It was innocent. It was pure. You could see it in her zealousness, she was hungry for more of this Jesus that she had just met. 

She began to devour the Word, learning and reading about Jesus, memorizing scripture, learning the stories and acts that Jesus did when He was on earth. She came from a divorced home. I remember her telling me of how her mom dabbled in other things, things that did not line up with the Word of God. Her mom would prophesy to her about strange things, things that did not line up with the Word. Now, her brother had been into drugs and hung out with the wrong group of people. Sometimes when she looked at him, she was sure that he was demon possessed. The look in his eyes, the way he did things, he was most definitely off balance and not right. 

As I remember the story, one day she was at her mom's house. Her brother had just arrived, and through a series of events began to run at her with a knife. She ran through the house trying to get away from him as he chased her with this knife. As she slammed a door behind her, it was all that she could do to keep the door closed from him pushing it in. In her desperation, when most people would call upon "Mom" or "Dad" for help, being from a broken and unstable home, she did not do that. As a new believer, the only name she knew to call on was the name of Jesus! She stood on the other side of that door, as her brother was trying to push it in and all she knew to do was yell, at the top of her lungs, "JESUS! JESUS! JESUS!" She continued to yell, "JESUS!"

The next thing she knew, her brother was gone. He had fled the house, dropped the knife. Ran out through the garage door and was running down the side of the road. He had fled! At the name of JESUS, he could no longer be in the presence of her yelling it. 
James 4:7 - Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you. 
Ephesians 6:12-13 -  For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high [places]. 13. Wherefore take unto you the whole armour of God, that ye may be able to withstand in the evil day, and having done all, to stand.
That was but ONE of the stories she had of a PERSONAL experience of spiritual warfare. But what a powerful reminder about the POWER in the NAME OF JESUS! Above ALL names, there is POWER in that name!! As we see above in John 14, Jesus himself was talking and reminded us, "And whatever you ask in My name, that I will do, that the Father may be glorified in the Son. If you ask anything in My name, I will do it." He said, whatever we ask in HIS name, that is the name of JESUS that he would do it! I take this so seriously that even at the end of a prayer, I don't say, "In your Name, Amen." I make sure to say, "In JESUS Name, Amen!" Such power in that ONE word, in that ONE name, Jesus!

Whether on an airplane, Psalm 91:5 reminds us, "You shall not be afraid of the terror by night, Nor of the arrow that flies by day." I want my relationship with Jesus to be so close that at the FIRST sign of danger, my IMMEDIATE and first response would be to yell, "JESUSSSSSSSS!!!!!" 

Psalms 91 is such a GREAT promise for protection! I like to personalize this... check out how powerful  the Word of God is, in regards to our safety. This is verses 7-12. 
A thousand may fall at my side, And ten thousand at my right hand; But it shall not come near ME! .... Because I have made the Lord, who is my refuge, Even the Most High, my dwelling place, No evil shall befall me, Nor shall any plague come near my dwelling; For He (God Himself!) shall give His angels charge over ME, To keep me in all my ways. In their hands they shall bear me up, Lest I dash my foot against a stone.
What GREAT news!!! I remember the first time, as a new Christian, that I learned about these verses! I was in Costa Rica, away from home. I woke up in the middle of the night and there were cockroaches in my BED! YES! My bed! Cockroaches! Crawling by my ears, crawling by my head. I was petrified! I immediately freaked out, began crying and called my mom. As she woke up in the middle of the night to answer the phone, I began crying and just said, "Mom, there are cockroaches in my bed!" I was bawling. Mom directed me to Psalm 91. :) What comfort that brought me. That was the last night there were ever cockroaches in my bed. 

Whatever it is that you are doing, take the Word, take Psalm 91 and allow the WORD, allow GOD Almighty and the ANGELS that He has given charge over YOU, to be your protection! 

Be blessed today!

No comments:

Social Sharing