Thursday, March 27, 2014

#266 - Is it Possible to Hear from God?

Jeremiah 30:2 - Thus says the Lord, the God of Israel: Write all the words that I have spoken to you in a book. 
Proverbs 31:15 - She rises while it is yet night and gets (spiritual) food...
John 10:27 - The sheep that are My own hear and are listening to My voice; and I know them, and they follow Me. 
Have you ever been curious as to whether you hear from God? Or if it is even possible to hear from Him? Is it Biblical to hear from Him? Let's take a look into the Word about this very subject. 

If we take a look at the Word, in John 14, Jesus is talking to the disciples and is letting them know that he is going to leave, the world will see Him (the person Jesus) no more. BUT, the even better news is that Jesus says that in His place, He will leave the Counselor, Someone who will be with us forever! Let's take a look in verse 16 and 26 of John 14, "And I will ask the Father, and He will give you another Comforter (Counselor, Helper, Intercessor, Advocate, Strengthener, and Standby), that He may remain with you forever ...  But the Comforter (Counselor, Helper, Intercessor, Advocate, Strengthener, Standby), the Holy Spirit, Whom the Father will send in My name [in My place, to represent Me and act on My behalf], He will teach you all things. And He will cause you to recall (will remind you of, bring to your remembrance) everything I have told you."

I know there is a myth out there that we, as Christians, cannot "hear" from God, but the truth of the matter is, that is a wrong belief! If we are a believer, we CAN hear from God. More specifically, we can hear from the Holy Spirit. The Holy Spirit is one of the Trinity of God (God the Father, Jesus the Son, and the Holy Spirit the Counselor). When we get saved, it is the Holy Spirit of the Trinity that comes to reside inside of us. It is the Holy Spirit that is talked about in John 14:16, 26. The Comforter as it describes. Also Counselor, Helper, Advocate, Strengthener. As believers we are SUPPOSE to hear from the Holy Spirit. He resides in us to be that Voice to tell us, "No, turn right here instead of left today. There is an accident ahead that I want to keep you from." As we read earlier in John 10:27, the sheep (us!) hear My (the Holy Spirit's) voice. 

So, we have to get the 1st myth out of the way. Now that we believe we CAN hear from the Holy Spirit, GET OUT YOUR JOURNALS! Literally! Jeremiah 30:2, tells us to write down what we hear! 

I remember doing this for the first time. It was about 12 years ago when I first began to practice the art of listening and writing down what the Holy Spirit revealed to me. I was a teacher at a private Christian school and was on my prep period. I was sitting in the library reading my Bible and was determined that I was going to practice trying to listen to the Holy Spirit. I remember like it was yesterday as I sat at the table by myself. Often finding myself distracted by things or sounds, I had to try to make everything quiet. I closed my eyes and literally plugged my ears with my two index fingers. I pictured a big bulldozer or tractor with a cement wall on the front literally going through my mind and pushing all the thoughts out of it until I had a blank slate. My mind was blank, distractions gone and for the first time, I began my conversation with the Holy Spirit. It began like a simple conversation. I said, "Good morning Holy Spirit." He replied, "Good morning Amy." As our conversation continued, as it says in Jeremiah 30:2, to WRITE down in a book what He tells us, I had my journal out and began to write what I felt He told me. Interesting enough, probably just to prove to me it was Him, after journaling what I thought He was saying, I opened up my Bible to read. The passage of scripture that I read, went right along with what I had journaled. Confirmation! I was so JACKED! I HAD heard from the Holy Spirit! I was so excited. And THAT was the beginning of me practicing to listen. Granted, I don't have to go through all the steps I did at one time to get in a position to hear, but for a long time I did. Today, after practicing listening for so long, like John 10:27, I can hear my Fathers voice. I can distinguish between His Voice and the noise of the world or of the enemy easily, as long as I take the time to listen. 

I'd encourage you today, get a journal or notebook. Begin to WRITE DOWN as you hear from the Holy Spirit. Be confident that the Holy Spirit DOES speak to you and WANTS to! He was designed for that VERY REASON! To be our Counselor. It wouldn't be a very good counselor if he didn't give us any counsel, now would it?! That is why Jesus left! He said it is BETTER that He leave. Why on earth would it be better? Because as a man, he could only be one place at one time. The Holy Spirit on the other hand dwells within EVERY believer and can be everywhere! We have the Holy Spirit with us FOREVER! (John 14:16)

Friend, practice today! Listen and write down what you hear! Never go another day without conversing with the Holy Spirit!



No comments:

Social Sharing