Thursday, January 20, 2011

#129 - Real Stories: Even the Little Things Matter

Good morning. Well... today's blog is going to be a little big different. I'm actually going to share some real stories with you. You are about to see a little bit more into the life of Amy (and Tyler). They are technically  stories about how the Holy Spirit will direct us if we are willing to be obedient. Stories like this happen on a regular basis in our lives, but these were just a few that have happened this week and are examples of where we did not listen. Shame on us, right?! But they show how God even cares about the very little things in our day, the tiny details even matter to him. 
Proverbs 20:18 - Purposes and plans are established by counsel...
So... the scripture today talks about how plans and purposes are established by counsel. The KEY for a believer though, is once we RECEIVE counsel (from the Holy Spirit), to be OBEDIENT to the counsel. We can choose to still do it "Our Way" but the outcome is not guaranteed to be good. Let's take a look....

  1. Breakfast: Tuesday I was fixing breakfast for Tyler Jr. Some days he eats as much as Tyler & I do, and some days, he doesn't. Well, Tuesday, while I was getting his breakfast ready, I cut up an orange to let him eat that while I fixed him Cream of Wheat. I have always enjoyed cream of wheat, and ate it a lot growing up....and it has been one of those staple foods for TJ for breakfast. Typically, he gets an adult serving: 3 Tablespoons of Cream of Wheat with 3/4 cup water, microwave 2 min, stirring every 30 seconds. After it comes out of the microwave, I usually add about 1/2 cup of applesauce to make it kind of sweet. Well.... Tuesday, as I was getting it ready, the Holy Spirit said, "Just do 2." I heard Him pretty clear. BUT, I reasoned, "If the boy doesn't eat it all, I'll just finish it off." Obviously, you and I both know that MY WAY is better than the Holy Spirit's, HA! Yah right! So, I continued on, with 3 Tablespoons of Cream of Wheat. While it was cooling, I made a chocolate, banana, peanut butter protein shake for Tyler Sr and I to split. It was yummy. Breakfast was ready. I fed the boy. I drank my shake. And do you know what? The boy barely ate HALF of his food! And do you know what else? After I drank my shake, I wasn't hungry to even have a bite of it, let alone finish it off. Do you know where the remainder of the Cream of Wheat went? Down the garbage disposal. Isn't it funny, that the Holy Spirit will even direct us in the little things! So, next time, I'm determined to listen to that still small voice!
  2. Travel: Also on Tuesday.... Tyler had on his schedule that he would be traveling for his job. He was going to travel to part of his territory that is about an hour to an hour & a half away, Augusta, GA. He sets off for Augusta in the morning and is off. He later receives a phone call after he is already in Augusta, and finds out he needs to get to Charlotte, NC right away to pick up his newly issued laptop. Looking at it from the outside, it seems like a major inconvenience. From Augusta, Charlotte is a 2 1/2 hour drive one way, with our home being in the middle. A LOT of driving for one day. What does Tyler do? He checks with the Holy Spirit to see what he should do, and he gets the answer to GO to Charlotte, despite Tyler's flesh telling him that sounds ridiculous! Tyler makes the drive, gets the laptop, gets caught in traffic on the way back, and it ends up being a day of being on the road a lot! Wednesday morning Tyler woke up to have his Quiet Time.... his first question that morning was, "Lord, why did you have me driving all over the place yesterday? It seemed so unproductive." - The simple answer Tyler received was, "You never asked." Then the Holy Spirit proceeded to tell him that he would never have had him drive to Augusta, but Tyler didn't ask. 
  3. Pants: OK... this one.... I'm still in the middle of. I exchanged some things I got for Christmas, in doing so, I got a lot of really cool Nike clothes. I also purchased a pair of pants. Super cute, kind of a dry-fit, not silky, but just real smooth when you touch them. I knew when I tried them on that I would probably have to hem them because they were a little bit long. The Holy Spirit told me not to buy them, but I wanted them so I bought them anyways. (I know! Bad, right!?!) So.... I bought them and get them home. One reason I liked them is because they were a size 4 and I was excited about that. So.... there they lay, up in my bedroom on my chair, a great representation of disobedience. They still have the tags on them. I've wanted to wear them, but I haven't. In my mind, I have been going back and forth, "Return them, or keep them." Well.... finally, I have decided I'm just going to return them! I'm sure the Holy Spirit knows WHY they aren't a good idea for me. Maybe I won't ever wear them. Maybe I'll get pregnant soon. Maybe I won't ever hem them. Who knows. But... I'm going to make it right and return them! 
So.... these are just a few situations that WE have had lately. I'd like to say that most of the time we are obedient and listen, but these were a few of the times that we were not. It just reminds me how God even cares about the little things! I mean, 1 Tablespoon EXTRA of Cream of Wheat?! Who cares, right? But God even cares about the little things! That was 1 tablespoon that was wasted and did not have to be. 

Today, will you choose obedience? Listen. Ask. Obey. 

No comments:

Social Sharing