Proverbs 12:18 - There are those who speak rashly, like the piercing of a sword, but the tongue of the wise brings healing.
Proverbs 31:26 - She opens her mouth in skillful and godly Wisdom, and on her tongue is the law of kindness [giving counsel and instruction].Have you ever had someone tell you something that you were simply shocked to hear? Have you ever thought, "Did you really just say that out-loud? Are you serious?" Well, today is probably going to be a bit more of a lighter post, but I wanted to share some of those comments of "what NOT to say!"
Today, I am officially "Full-Term" in my pregnancy with Trinity Faith, so she could technically come any time now. Being pregnant, over the last several months as Trin has grown, it has been quite an interesting journey of WHAT people will say to a pregnant lady! Some people COMPLETE strangers, some friends, some family, some women, some men, some other pregnant women, some fellow church goers.... ALL of these are people who have made a comment to me (or other pregnant friends of mine) that have been completely shocking! It has provided for almost daily, interesting conversation at home! I have a several good friends and we are all due within a few days/weeks of each other. We frequently will text back and forth the funny, yet shocking things we heard in the grocery store or some other random place. People are funny!
SO... save yourself from being the conversation piece at the someone else's dinner table.... here are some tips....
WHAT NOT TO SAY TO A PREGNANT WOMAN
- (Our pool attendant, a rather BIG fellow, said this to another pregnant woman) - "Wow! You look like SHAMU! Aren't you due to have that baby?"
- (Said from another PREGNANT woman!!) - "Wow _________, you look like you are about to POP!"
- "Are you having twins?"
- "Are you SURE you're not having twins?!"
- "You must be due ANY time now!"
- (Said from a family member!) "Yah, we're just not like those skinny, cute, pregnant people that look like they are carrying a basketball. We just carry differently."
- (Said from another female.) "You look way overdue! When is this baby coming?"
- (Said from a woman to a friend who was pregnant.) "You just look like you are a lot further along than you are."
- "You look so tired. You must be ready to have that baby!"
As I read over the comments that have been said to me or one of my 5-6 pregnant friends... I'm just amazed that people will say some things OUT-LOUD! And WOMEN at that!?!? The pregnant woman receiving the comment is most likely thinking, "Really? So you are saying that I look fat. I'm already feeling tired, heavy, sore from carrying this 20-30 pound bowling ball on my stomach 24/7, I'm trying to be able to breathe because this baby is squishing my lungs, I haven't slept great the last several nights... and now you are going to TELL Me that's how I look?! Thanks! It just made my day!"
WHAT IS OK?
- If in doubt, don't say ANYTHING at all!
- "Wow you look so cute!"
- "You look like you are ALL baby!"
- "From behind, I couldn't even tell you were pregnant. You look super cute!"
- "Mam, you don't look like you are having twins!" (My husband told this to a woman on Saturday as he overheard the man in front of him say to her, "Wow! You look like you are having twins!")
So.... take notes from the Proverbs 31 woman. Open your mouth in skillful & godly wisdom, on your tongue, speak the law of Kindness! Even just the common practice of "Thinking Before Speaking." Not JUST to pregnant women, but to anyone. How is your comment going to sound coming out? Is it going to encourage, uplift & build up (Eph 4:29)? How would you feel if someone said the same thing to you?
Just some food for thought this morning. Sure.... it's kind of funny stuff, but hopefully good to hear! A thought to leave you with..... Think Before Speaking! :)
Have a blessed day!