Monday, February 6, 2012

Imagine: Sitting Down with Jesus

Imagine. You are sitting in your bedroom a little discouraged and in comes Jesus to sit on your bedside. Life has been getting to you. Defeat has been infiltrating it's way into your thoughts. This time, you've been down a little longer. You've stayed on the ground, too exhausted to get up. Jesus' appearance shows up at just the right time. You really need a Word from Him. You need encouragement. You need hope.

As I sat in church yesterday, the Pastor said something that sparked my mind going off in all these thoughts. I imagined what Jesus would say. I imagined that He would remind me and you of WHO we really are as a believer. That He would bring us out of the pit we felt like we were in and REMIND us of WHOSE we really are. That defeat is only temporary and victory is permanent! As a child of God, ULTIMATELY, WE WIN! Jesus went to the cross, chose death, DEFEATED Satan on our behalf and victoriously arose from the grave a WINNER! Our Team won! He won for ALL of us! He won for Believers!

This morning I began thinking back to the childhood song I remember singing over and over in summer Bible School. You probably sang it too.... it goes like this, "Father Abraham, had many sons and many sons had Father Abraham. I am one of them and so are you, so lets all praise the Lord. Right arm. Father Abraham, had many sons..." And the son goes on until you're moving all body parts, marching, wiggling and as a kid, having a blast just moving all over! The more over the years that I've thought about that song, the more I realized what GREAT stuff is in that children's song! It begins to tell us WHO we are! As a believer, we become one of Abraham's sons, adopted if you will, but a son! An heir to the promise.
Galatians 3:29 - And now that you belong to Christ, you are the true children of Abraham. You are his heirs, and God’s promise to Abraham belongs to you.
As Christians, like the song says Abraham is, "Father Abraham." So we could go back to Genesis and begin to see the promises that belong to us throughout the entire Bible! One of my favorite places to see the promises that belong to me are in Deuteronomy 28 (check out the New Living Translation). Let's take a look.

  • My CHILDREN are blessed! (v 4)
  • Wherever I go & whatever I do, I AM BLESSED! (v 6)
  • The LORD will guarantee a blessing on everything I do and will fill my bank accounts with increase! (v 8)
  • The Lord blesses me with many children! (v 11)
  • The Lord will bless all the work I do. (v 12)
  • I AM the head & not the tail! (v 13)
  • I am always on top and never at the bottom. (v 13)
These promises are straight from the Bible and they belong to US! I basically copied & pasted them, then personalized them! They are for us today! Let us not forget how Deuteronomy 28:1-2 - If YOU will listen diligently to the voice of the Lord your God, being watchful to do all His commandments which I command you this day, the Lord your God will set you high above the nations of the earth and ALL these blessings shall come upon you and OVERTAKE you IF you heed the voice of the Lord your God. 


I believe if Jesus sat with us, he would remind us that the devil is a TOOTHLESS lion. He roars, but he is toothless. He can't bite us! I believe Jesus would remind us that we ARE the head and not the tail. That HE went to the cross and DEFEATED it on our behalf giving us VICTORY! I believe that Jesus would remind us, ON EARTH as it is in HEAVEN! Live on earth, as it is in heaven! Don't accept defeat. Apply the Word to our situation. Apply faith and diligence, that we would walk out in victory as He desires us to. I believe Jesus would begin to remind us of WHO we are and WHOSE we are! We are His! We are JOINT HEIRS according to the promise! A joint heir, has EQUAL ownership! Romans 8:17 - And if children, then heirs; heirs of God, and joint-heirs with Christ....


I believe Jesus would REMIND us that WE ARE A WINNER! Because HE has already won, WE have already won! Coming out of our little "sit-down" meeting with Jesus I believe we would walk differently, talk differently, carry ourselves differently. I believe we would walk tall. Be bold. Listen sharper to His Voice. Attempt greater things, knowing we have already won. I believe we would be bolder & more confident.

Imagine... if Jesus came to sit down with you on your bedside, you would leave changed. Radically and fully changed.

Begin today. Live like Jesus sat down with you this morning! Live boldly. Live victoriously. Live your calling without fear! Live as though you can not lose, because when you FULLY receive the promises as your own, YOU CAN'T!

No comments:

Social Sharing