Friday, December 10, 2010

#115 - Remember Me?

Good morning.... actually, Good afternoon! I pray you are having a great day so far! We are officially 15 days from Christmas! WOW! How exciting!! A wonderful time to enjoy with family & friends. A wonderful time to really spend time being thankful.
Psalm 40:1-3a - I WAITED patiently and expectantly for the Lord; and He inclined to me and heard my cry.    2He drew me up out of a horrible pit [a pit of tumult and of destruction], out of the miry clay (froth and slime), and set my feet upon a rock, steadying my steps and establishing my goings.
    3And He has put a new song in my mouth, a song of praise to our God.
Proverbs 31:20 - She opens her hand to the poor, yes, she reaches out her filled hands to the needy [whether in body, mind, or spirit].
Psalm 40 made me think about how much we have to be thankful for during this Holiday Season. The hustle and bustle can cause us to be focused more on the gift getting and gift giving than on the true reason of why we celebrate Christmas to begin with. Now, let me say, I am equally guilty.... sometimes maybe even MORE guilty than most. A book that I would HIGHLY recommend.... actually would even be a great present for the stocking for husband and wife, "Five Love Languages" by Gary Chapman. Well, in the book as you read through the love languages.... the 5 are this: Words of Affirmation, Physical Touch, Acts of Service, Quality Time & Gifts. Everyone has a love language that they just really feel loved when done... my #1 love language sometimes seems the most "vain"... but it is what it is, GIFTS! I LOVE GETTING GIFTS! I can't help it. I just light up when I get a gift... so for me, Christmas & birthdays are awesome! I even have told Tyler, "Wrap up a pair of Nike socks! I don't care! Part of the fun for someone like me is just opening many wrapped packages." For Tyler I know he would tend to want to put everything in one box for me to open... but for the "Gifts" love language person, that is not as fun! But, one love language is not better or worse than the other. Some are just more evident to point out. Tyler on the other hand is "Acts of Service." When I get him something to drink or make him a meal or pull the covers up over him when he is taking a nap, he feels most loved then.... I'm still waiting for him to use the really cool electronic highlighter that I got him for Christmas last year! :-/ Argh. 


But... the main point is really this... even without the presents, the lights, the trees, the wreaths, the food.... we have SOOOOO much to be thankful for! Even if we took all of that away! We have so much to be thankful for! He drew YOU & ME up out of a horrible pit of destruction, out of the froth and slime, and set OUR feet upon a rock, steadying OUR steps and establishing OUR goings. And He has put a new song in OUR mouths! 


The Almighty God, GAVE US LIFE! Because God sent Jesus, we are able to live with HOPE! We are able to live with JOY! We are able to live free from FEAR because He has put ANGELS all around us to guard us (Ps 91)! Because God gave His son Jesus, we are able to experience a love greater than any person could ever give us. 


If gifts are stressing you out, don't do them. If you feel like things are out of control, do what the famous Napoleon Hill said, "Take your eyes off yourself and go help and serve someone else." Go to the hospital and bring gifts to children who wouldn't otherwise get gifts. An orphanage, a nursing home, an Alzheimer's unit. At the end of the day does Jesus say to you, "Do you Remember Me?" 


At the end of the day what is the FOCUS? May the focus go from self to Jesus. May the actions, attitude and atmosphere in your life and family be on Jesus. And at the end of the day, you don't hear the question, "Do you Remember Me?" BUT, you hear the comment, "Thank you for remembering me!" 



“Then the righteous will answer him, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you something to drink? When did we see you a stranger and invite you in, or needing clothes and clothe you? When did we see you sick or in prison and go to visit you?’ “The King will reply, ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me.’Matthew 25: 37-40





No comments:

Social Sharing