Wednesday, September 1, 2010

#60 - NO FEAR!

WOW! Where do you even start?!?! Adding Psalms to the mix really puts fuel on an already blazing fire!! If you don't have time to read all the "scheduled readings"... that is totally ok! Read what you can, and then enjoy diving in to this devotion! :) 


Today's Reading: Proverbs 1, Proverbs 31:10-31, Psalms 1, 31, 61, 91, 121
Proverbs 1:33 - But whoso hearkens to me [Wisdom] shall dwell securely and in confident trust and shall be quiet, without fear or dread of evil.
Proverbs 31:21 - She fears not...
Psalms 91:5,7,9-11 - 5Thou shalt not be afraid for the terror by night; nor for the arrow that flieth by day; 7A thousand shall fall at thy side, and ten thousand at thy right hand; but it shall not come nigh thee9Because thou hast made the LORD, which is my refuge, even the most High, thy habitation; 10There shall no evil befall thee, neither shall any plague come nigh thy dwelling. 11For he shall give his angels charge over thee, to keep thee in all thy ways.
Psalms 121:3a,7 - He will not allow your foot to slip or to be moved...The Lord will keep you from all evil; He will keep your life.
Do I hear a "WHOA!" out there?? I could hardly get past Psalms 1. It is totally off the subject of "fear", but I was reading it and just wanted to sit there and shout, "AMEN!" It was getting me fired up!! What good stuff! Then the Word just kept on coming and coming and coming.... NO FEAR.


Praise the Lord that we do not have to fear! Isn't that awesome!?!? Psalms 91 is the classic chapter in the Bible that people look to in regards to protection and not having fear. It has SOOOO many awesome promises in those 16 verses! Do you know, that since the BIBLE says it, we can believe it?! I remember SPECIFICALLY my quiet time the morning of September 11th, 2001. I woke up that morning in my home in Myrtle Beach.... at the time working for a tourist publication selling advertising.... The Myrtle Beach Guide. Not my favorite job... but a job nonetheless. Well... that morning, I read in my quiet time a verse that really stuck out to me: Thou shalt not be afraid for the terror by night; nor for the arrow that flieth by day. Not 2 hours later did "the arrow that flieth by day" strike the 1st of the Twin Towers. Isn't that amazing though! It astounded me as I reflected on what I had read that morning.... it was like, "Did the writer KNOW, even before planes were invented to talk about this?! He must have! What else would be an 'arrow that flies by day'? Planes even look like arrows!" I was astounded! But, the Holy Spirit was reminding me that because I have made the LORD my habitation, my refuge, that NO EVIL will befall me!! 


THAT IS A PROMISE!!!! You can believe that for YOUR LIFE! You can stand on that promise for your FAMILY!! Pray "Psalms 91" protection over them. Thank God that because YOU & THEY have made the Lord their habitation, that no evil will befall them, come near them... neither will any plague come nigh their dwelling... no sickness or disease will come to them! Thank God for that because HE GIVES IT AS A PROMISE!!!! It is the GIFT that we need to open! The knowledge we need to grab hold of. It's always been there. People perish because of lack of knowledge. Well, it is important to know God's Word to KNOW His promises so you do not perish! If you know His promises, you can stand on them, you can believe them, you can receive them for YOUR life!! SO.... now, you know you are promised safety and the ability not to fear. Praise the Lord! Unlike Job... we do not want to LIVE in a state of fear. Job 3:25 tells us what Job had always been fearing had come upon him. He was living in a state of sin, a state of constant fear.... and what happened? His fear became a reality! He lost his family, his livestock, his wealth. He lost everything. Grab hold of Psalms 91 and DO NOT FEAR!


I remember the first time when I was introduced to Psalms 91. Quite a memory that is a bit unfond! I was crying and scared. :( I was in another country, away from my family, it was the middle of the night and I felt SO alone! As a baby Christian....it was around March of 1999. I was doing a study abroad semester in college living with a family in Costa Rica. I remember sleeping in my small bedroom where I would spend the last 6 weeks of my 3 month stay. As I laid there, I heard the tiny pitter patter of feet..... not in a distance... by my ear. I scrunched my covers tightly around my body, just hoping the sound would go away. In the darkness, as I peeked open my eyes, I saw just in time to see about four cockroaches scurry past my head. AHHH! :( I sat up and started to cry! I hated cockroaches!! I went out to the living room and grabbed the phone...and in the middle of the night I called home to my mommy! "Mommy," I cried, "There are cockroaches in my bed." I just cried to her over the phone. I just wanted to go home, to a land of no cockroaches.... to me, that was as good as the land flowing with milk and honey! :) Well, in her infinite wisdom, she told me to get out my Bible and turn to Psalms 91. I did and we read it together. Then we prayed. During all the commotion.... while I was still crying.... my "Costa Rica Mom" got up. She asked me what was wrong... and I cried, "Hay cucarachas en mi cama." - "There are cockroaches in my bed." Bless her heart. She felt so bad. The next morning when I got home from my day, she had scrubbed the floors and walls in my room. :) So sweet. 


Anyways..... my stories. :) No need to be afraid! No weapon will befall you, neither shall any plague come nigh YOUR dwelling place! NO FEAR! 


Today.... search your heart and life.... are their areas that you are living in fear? Decide today to repent. Choose faith over fear. When fear tries to rise up, don't let it.... use Psalms 91 to choose NO FEAR! Like our Proverbs 31 friend.... FEAR NOT child of God! FEAR NOT!



No comments:

Social Sharing