Monday, November 15, 2010

#102 - A Heart that Overflows in Love

Good morning! :) I am sitting here in Orlando right now. Me, the boy & my mom. My dad is working a boat show, so the boy and I will get some quality time with grandma during the day! :) So fun! :) We are excited. Right now he is playing in his bed, just talking. His little words are so funny. They make me laugh! "GUSH!" He says that one a lot. It made me laugh while I was reading the Bible this morning because I found that word in our reading for today! :) Psalm 105:41 ....the water GUSHed out. So, there ya have it! My son is already talking about living in ABUNDANCE & OVERFLOW! :) That's what I'm talkin about!! hehe!

OK. I do have a quick funny story to tell you about. Tyler & I laughed so hard! We were on a date the other night without the boy and we went to the movies. You know when you are a mom when you start saying things you hear on kids DVD's or CD's. We have some "Miss Pattycake" DVD's that Tyler Jr watches sometimes... she's a great and tells lots of Bible stories, and sings Bible songs, and just teaches really good principles like "helping out", etc. Well... so we got our movie tickets and the lady gave me a FREE movie ticket for the next movie I go see (because I have a RegalCrown Card.) Without even thinking about it, I said, "GREAT! HIP HIP HORRAY!" Turned and walked away. For real! I mean, who says that sort of thing OUT LOUD!!! I looked at Tyler and he was just laughing and laughing. When I realized what I had said, we both were just laughing. It was pretty funny. Anyways! HIP HIP HORRAY! Let's get started on our DEVOTION TODAY! :) HA!
Psalm 45:1 - MY HEART overflows with a goodly theme; I address my psalm to a King. My tongue is like the pen of a ready writer.
Psalm 105:2 - Sing to Him, sing praises to Him; meditate on and talk of all His marvelous deeds and devoutly praise them.

Psalm 15:2 - He who walks and lives uprightly and blamelessly, who works rightness and justice and speaks and thinks the truth in his heart...
Proverbs 15:17 - Better is a dinner of herbs where love is than a fatted ox and hatred with it.
My heart overflows. Psalm 45:1 is really the pivotal verse I'd like us to work around. It's so full of good things! It's so perfect, the words are put together like art. Beautiful & carefully chosen. So good!

Each of these verses are intertwined. My heart overflows. Have you seen or heard people's heart overflow before? You immediately know what they are or are not putting in their heart! I remember when I was teaching Spanish in a Public school. I had a girl in my class that I gave a detention for cussing. I wasn't going to allow it in my classroom. Well, the next day I got a phone call from her mother. Guess what her mother did on the phone? She cussed me out. A prime example of what was put in her heart. What is put in comes out. If you put good in, good will come out. If you put bad in, bad comes out. I quickly knew that the student was merely a product of her environment. She cussed because that was the language of her home. 

What comes out of your heart? What you meditate on will in turn lead to what you speak & think. Hopefully what you meditate on, speak, think will equal love. One way or another, your heart is going to overflow, but it is YOU who chooses HOW it is going to overflow. Will it overflow with good? Or will it overflow with bad? Our coffee pot wasn't working this morning, so how do we respond? Does our heart overflow with frustration and a spirit of annoyance? Does it affect our attitude negatively because of the 'inconvenience?' Or does our heart overflow with the ability to just figure it out?

My mom was telling me about a story about my dad. How they were out of town once and he had the opportunity to just be really annoyed and frustrated with her. He COULD have talked badly to her about the situation, but instead he operated in complete love. Love. Lack of judgement. No condemnation. Though he rightfully COULD have said things that would have been true but hurtful, he chose instead to operate in love. To serve in love. To walk in love. Love that is unselfish. Love that is unconditional. Love that is forgiving. Where judgement could have been, there was love. It reminds me of the story of Jesus. When the people of the city were going to stone the adulterous woman to death, Jesus said, "If you are without guilt, then YOU cast the first stone." One by one, the people left, knowing they had guilt in their own lives, knowing they were not perfect. There stood Jesus & the woman... they were the last left. Jesus was perfect. Jesus was the only one who could have stoned her, but instead he showed love, grace, compassion & forgiveness. Jesus chose love.

Out of your heart, what is overflowing? Is it love? Are you putting good stuff in? Or like my student, is the world around you just inputting negative so you are living there, in the negative?

A great question to ask: If the words coming out of your mouth are not words that have the seed of love, maybe you & I need to check what we are putting in so that we can have a heart that overflows in love.

2 comments:

jburton said...

Love...that;s what makes the world go around!

Deb Ellis said...

Awesome! It is such a blessing to be around you Amy,to be encouraged and watch God at work in all the small and greater details of your life. You are such a blessing to me. I thank the Lord for you.

Social Sharing