Thursday, November 4, 2010

#97 - Intelligent Discernment & Devotional Preface

So... good morning! God is good, all the time & all the time, God is good. 
Proverbs 4:1-2 - HEAR, MY sons, the instruction of a father, and pay attention in order to gain and to know intelligent discernment, comprehension, and interpretation [of spiritual matters]. 2For I give you good doctrine [what is to be received]; do not forsake my teaching.
Proverbs 4:11 - I have taught you in the way of skillful and godly Wisdom [which is comprehensive insight into the ways and purposes of God]; I have led you in paths of uprightness. 
Intelligent discernment & comprehensive insight. Hopefully the follow will be a bit freeing to a lot of you. It could actually be taken as a "preface" to all the devotions that you read. 

I, like many of you, have specific things that I am passionate about or have radically changed my life for the better. When you see how something has really helped you or affected your life, you just immediately want everyone to experience that for themselves. You want them to experience the same joy or the same freedom, the same revelation. But.... let me say this: There is a GOOD chance that just because it is a "Word from the Lord" for one person, does not mean it is a "Word from the Lord" for YOU. Including, EVERY devotion most likely is NOT something you are supposed to take action on. Sure, some of them, yes, will be directly for you. You could call it a "grocery store" approach. Sometimes something may sound really good, or it may even be a devotion talking about an area that you are weak in. BUT, that doesn't necessarily mean it's something that the HOLY SPIRIT wants YOU to focus on it now. It goes back to what Proverbs 4 talks about, intelligent discernment. 


Check with the Holy Spirit. Your path and the plan for your life is different than mine, and everyone elses. The Holy Spirit will tell you SPECIFICALLY what you need to be doing to grow YOU to the next level. Like "Day of Rest's" for example. Tyler got specific direction from the Holy Spirit that he was suppose to take a DOR... when I checked with the Holy Spirit, I received a confirmation that NOW was the time for me to. Maybe for you it's a 1/2 DOR... or an HOR (hour of rest).... some time allotted that you put in your schedule to rest, rejuvenate, spend time with the Lord, or whatever. I encourage you.... check with the Holy Spirit. ASK HIM in regards to whatever the topic/devotion. The biggest thing is, I don't want YOU all going through your day feeling discouraged or defeated because you think, "Ahhh man, another thing I need to work on." God may have just ONE thing He has you working on right now, and that ONE thing is what will take you to the next level in your life. If you are trying to chase down every little thing you need to improve on, then you will most likely wind up discouraged and exhausted at the end of the day. I believe that these devotions are for someone. Who are you? I'm not sure. But, since I was led to write them, I believe that God has someone out there who is supposed to read them and that they are supposed to help. Can a "daily devotion" act as a guide in your Quiet Time? Absolutely. Can it give you a place to start? Absolutely. I heard yesterday from a man of God I respect quiet a bit, he said, "Church time is not throne time, Church time is School time." He was saying that going to church, is a time that you are taught and educated, and should not replace you getting before the Lord yourself. You talking to him. You receiving direction for YOUR LIFE. Church is like school and shouldn't replace us getting before the Lord and talking. Same with these devotions. They shouldn't be the only "Word from the Lord" you receive. He has SPECIFIC things to tell you about for your life. He wants to direct and guide you. 


My goal, for you to KNOW intelligent discernment. Discern what is for YOU. Discern the Voice of the Lord for YOU. That discernment will help walk you into your breakthrough. That discernment will take you into YOUR Promise Land. 


That my friend is the goal. To help and serve people. To help people experience victory in their lives. To help YOU win! That is my goal. 

Xoxo, 
    Amy J

No comments:

Social Sharing