Wednesday, July 13, 2011

#204 - Are You Happy?

Good morning! I pray you are doing good! I woke up this morning... maybe because I've had two great back-to-back nights of sleep... but I woke up just feeling happy. Happy. Jesus is on the throne and I am HIS daughter! How exciting! I'm the daughter and loved by the King of Kings! What a blessing!

Let's get into some Word!
Proverbs 13:12 - Hope deferred makes the heart sick, but when the desire is fulfilled, it is a tree of life.
Proverbs 13:22b - ...and the wealth of the sinner [finds its way eventually] into the hands of the righteous, for whom it was laid up. 
Proverbs 31:18a - She tastes and sees that her gain from work [with and for God] is good...
I was thinking about several different things this morning. My first thoughts...today is July 13th. On July 13th, I'm obviously ALWAYS reminded of what a special day it is & was in my life. You probably know if you've kept up with these devotions, but let me fill you in. July 13th, 1998 in a park in England, God revealed to me that Tyler was going to be my husband. I had only known him for a week, but God showed me an amazing sign that Tyler was "the one." Two years later, July 13th, 2000, Tyler asked me to marry him. "Would you be #2 in my life for the rest of your life?" He asked. Proverbs 13:12 falls on such a perfect day. Hope deferred makes the heart sick, but when the desire is fulfilled, it is a tree of life. I remember very well during the 18 months of waiting how my heart just longed to be with him. For 18 months, my heart was sick. But PRAISE GOD for July 13th 2000! My desire was fulfilled! What an accurate verse!

For some reason this morning, I've also been thinking about "happiness." I'm sure like you, "happiness" may differ from day to day. I know for me, there are some days where I feel "happier" than other days. But, I'd ask you the question, "Are you happy?"

As I reflect and look back to a few years ago, I remember most days feeling miserable. I would not have described my life as "happy." I was discontented. I felt unfulfilled. I felt like I was just going through life, not really accomplishing much. Now sure, on paper, our bank accounts were filled up. We had an abundance. We were able to go out to eat and not think about the cost. We were able to bless people financially, and not even think about stroking a check. But, at the end of the day, I was not happy. When I woke up in the morning, I dreaded the day that had not even begun. I was a success in Corporate America, I brought in great bonuses, but I lacked true fulfillment. I chased a ladder to the top until I reached the top of my ladder. It was either sit there, topped out, or find a different ladder that could go higher. I found that I was on the right ladder for a season, but my next ladder would be destined to be leaned up against a completely different building.

Take a "happiness" survey on your life. Are you happy? Are you fulfilled? I know God's timing is perfect, and we surely have seasons of our lives where we are called to be in a certain place. I have a list of goals that I wrote out over 10 years ago. It had secret dreams that I wished to accomplish one day. I had visions of who I saw myself being one day. The picture of "Who Amy was" was in my mind. I saw myself living out my dreams. Living in the center of my calling. I could close my eyes and see the "Dream Me" and I could even sense how fulfilled that "me" was. I could sense a deep sense of satisfaction and fulfillment. When I closed my eyes and went to that place, I could tell that "that Amy" was truly happy. I've always wanted to go there. About 18 months ago, I officially got onto that path of becoming that Amy. Sure, I have had some off days, but for the most part for the last 18 months I have been HAPPY! I have been pursuing the dream and calling that God placed in my heart. I have been in the pursuit and that has brought fulfillment AND happiness. God put me on this earth to write, teach, help people & to impact the world for Christ. I may not be climbing the Corporate America ladder anymore, but God did not call me to climb that ladder forever, but just for a season. I am now climbing the ladder that leads to my Vision! The vision I've seen for 10 years. The vision I've seen when I closed my eyes. I'm not there yet, but I'm on the path. I'm on the right ladder to get me there.

The Proverbs 31 woman "tastes & sees" that the gain from her work with and for God is good. She enjoys the fruit. She sees that what she is doing is good. I anticipate that SHE is happy. She has found the ladder that gets her to "her" happiness, "her" calling. She is on the ladder that is good! She is not traveling in vain. She is not working in vain. She is working towards the purpose which she was created for, her calling.

For me, I've found that in this place is where true happiness is.

What about you? Are you happy? Is now the time for change?

1 comment:

Kimberly Bestul said...

You are such a good writer Joey! :D Your work is just so easy to read & I love ur analogies. :o)

I LOVE this part "to impact the world for Christ". I see that as my mission as well, accept my calling is for "tweens". ;)

I too am right where He wants me, in the calling that He has for my life...to impact this youth for God. Even tho life isn't always perfect and I may not "feel" happy...this is a season...and I should be happy being right where He wants me to be.

"working towards the purpose" for which He created me.

thx!! ~Kiki

Social Sharing