Thursday, July 28, 2011

#209 - Forgive Me?

Proverbs 28:13 - He who covers his transgressions will not prosper, but whoever confesses and forsakes his sins will obtain mercy.


Proverbs 31:11 - The heart of her husband trusts in her confidently and relies on and believes in her securely, so that he has no lack of [honest] gain or need of [dishonest] spoil.


Have you ever known you needed to ask for forgiveness, but knew if you pushed it under the rug, no one would even know? The uncomfortableness of "asking for forgiveness" would mean that you were wrong. It would highlight your shortcomings. Not to mention, having to ask for forgiveness makes you feel shameful. I hate feeling shameful. But, the alternative, is going through your day or days, with this "sin" hanging over your head. It's like everywhere you go, you can't escape the feeling of the shame, it doesn't go away, it follows you. Until, finally you decide to give in.  You decide to go to the person and just ask for forgiveness.

Recently in a Quiet Time, the Holy Spirit addressed this topic with me. I had asked Tyler & the Lord for forgiveness about something the day prior. It was uncomfortable and it felt shameful. Like Proverbs 28:13 says, I did obtain mercy. He did forgive me. But, the next morning in my Quiet Time, the Holy Spirit addressed the importance of asking for forgiveness. Tyler and I have a "confession" rule with each other, if we mess up in whatever area, we've agreed to ask for forgiveness. It's uncomfortable, but it holds us accountable to one another. The Holy Spirit prompted me again of the importance. He said though I may not like confronting an area of sin, it helps. The Holy Spirit pointed out that the alternative would be a hardening of my heart. I know I do not want to get to a point where my heart is hardened to sin.

The Proverbs 31 husband is able to trust & confidently rely on his Proverbs 31 wife. I would like to believe Tyler can trust me. Granted, we both know that I'm not perfect, but he knows despite how difficult a situation may be, I will confront him if I need to. I want him to believe in me & trust me securely as it says in Proverbs 31:11.

So... in person, over text, over the phone.... you will often hear us say the uncomfortable words, "I messed up, will you forgive me?" Praise the Lord for mercy.

What about you and your relationships? Do you have any safeguards for sin? I would love to hear about them!


No comments:

Social Sharing