Friday, July 29, 2011

#210 - A Hamster on a Wheel

Good morning! :) So... I am currently sitting out on my screened in porch, fan blowing, but still hot. A combination of being pregnant and the South Carolina humidity at times just takes my breath away! My morning got away from me a little, when I spent my first few awake hours working on my fiction book proposal, The Ultimate Woman. In my desire to occupy Tyler Junior after breakfast & his "DVD," I filled up the empty plastic sandbox with water and he is currently completely entertaining himself. What a mom will do to entertain her child to get things done!

Let's get started...

Proverbs 29:18 - Where there is no vision [no redemptive revelation of God], the people perish; but he who keeps the law [of God, which includes that of man]--blessed (happy, fortunate, and enviable) is he.
Proverbs 31:18 - She tastes and sees that her gain from work [with and for God] is good; her lamp goes not out, but it burns on continually through the night [of trouble, privation, or sorrow, warning away fear, doubt, and distrust].
Have you every found yourself sitting and just wondering, Is this all there is to life? When I was a college student, I remember thinking that "life would start" when I graduated, got out into the real world and started a job. The vision I had of myself was climbing the corporate ladder, wearing a "power" suit, riding the elevator to the top floor of some sky-rise in a big city, working amongst men and being successful. I thought that life would bring fulfillment & happiness. How I was wrong. Needless to say, when I surrendered my life to Jesus, things changed quite a bit. What I viewed as "success" changed. Although as a young, married, Christian woman, I still found myself like the hamster on a wheel. Running, but not getting anywhere. Working "in the world," but feeling as if the dent I was making in eternity was like the ripples that are made when you pull your finger out of a glass of water. Of little or no impact.

Proverbs 29:18 (amp) expounds on the definition of vision as "redemptive revelation of God." At first glance, "revelation of God" is what specifically jumped out at me. The more I read over the words, the more the whole phrase resonated with me. Redemptive revelation of God. 


Redemptive? Redeemed from what? A few things come to mind:

  • Redeemed from a life of sin. 
  • Redeemed from eternity in hell. 
  • Redeemed from a life of unfulfillment.
  • Redeemed from vanity.
  • Redeemed from a mundane life. 
  • Redeemed to have PURPOSE!
Revelation of God? Vision? The Hebrew also describes "vision" as "divine communication." Having a revelation of the purpose on your life. What were you created for? What were you born to do? What are the giftings in your life that no-one else has? What were you destined to be and do? What brings you fulfillment, happiness and joy? Or, as Mike Murdock says, "What problem were you created to solve?" What is the calling or purpose on your life? 


It is amazing that when we are working towards something that IS NOT our calling, or IS NOT moving us towards our purpose in life, unfulfillment accompanies our daily activities. Then we go back to the question, "Is this all there is to life?" Where there is no revelation or vision, people perish. People go through life aimlessly working towards menial accomplishments. As Ecclesiastes 1:2 (NKJV) says, "Vanity of vanities! All is vanity!" 


Praise the Lord as Believers, we have Good News! In our fellowship with the Lord, we can simply ask for direction and He will reveal to us the calling on our life if we do not know it. We can be redeemed from a life of vain pursuits, and pursue what we were created for. Like the Proverbs 31 woman, she is able to see the works she has done WITH and FOR God have produced fruit. She is able to see that the work is GOOD! She "tastes" and is able to enjoy the work she has done. She is able to "see" that it is a good work.

Praise the Lord that we are redeemed from a life of the mundane! We are redeemed from a life lacking fulfillment! We were each called to a purpose and a destiny, we were specifically designed with a purpose. Each of us.

Are you having questions about your purpose? When you go to the Lord next in your quiet time, here are some questions to think about:

  • What makes you come alive?
  • What doesn't feel like work when you are doing it?
  • What could you spend hours doing and enjoy? 
  • What questions to people know you'll have the answer to?
  • What makes you laugh?
  • What makes you cry? 
These are just a few questions that may help to lead you down the road of self discovery. The discovery of your purpose. Your passion. And as the Lord reveals it to you, the ultimate vision for your life. What you were born to do. 

Don't perish. Don't life the mundane life. Enjoy life to the fullest. Pursue your vision with fervor!






No comments:

Social Sharing